That means something different for everyone.
For many, it is a time of fun and excitement. A time for family trips to the beach, the Exhibition or many other excursions. Trips to visit with cousins on the farm or in the city, sometimes even in a different province.
I know for me it was a time to be able to return to camp, reconnect with friends I had not seen for a year. A time to get away from everything else for at least one week. A week where I could put everything behind and not have to worry about anything.
For many of the children that are a part of CityKidz Regina it is a time of wondering when there will be any food for them. A time spent being the parent to younger siblings. A time of spending lonely days at home or wondering around on the streets.
As in the past we are planning some fun activities for the children to be able to enjoy the summer. Keeping them busy, providing them with lunches. Continuing to build their self-esteem and helping them to remember that there is a plan and purpose for their life. This summer for CityKidz will look a bit different than past summers.
As summer camps, just like everyone else, is determining what the new normal will look like for them, determining how many children are just the right fit, we have decided to wait one more year to register the children for camps. But, we also knew that doing nothing would not be an option. So, we went to work and began to draw up our own Summer To Remember Activities.
Although we are still in the planning process there are a few activities finalized and many more just waiting for confirmation on dates available. We also know that every activity, field trip and outing that we do will require transportation and lunches. Others also require registration fees.
We are asking you to be a part of our Summer To Remember. Give a child those special memories to talk about on the first day of school in September.
Here is just a glimpse of what we have planned out:
- Reading Contest – we felt that this was a great opportunity to help the children keep their reading level up. We are going to start the Summer with a tour to the library, get library cards and encourage every child to read some books. There will be prizes for them, with the first place winner receiving a trip to Chapters with CityKidz Volunteers and picking out some brand new books of interest.
- Field Trips – there are many field trips planned in partnership with Nature Saskatchewan and Nature Regina, as well as the Canadian Outdoor Life
- Cultural events – visits to the museum, art gallery, dancing, drumming
- Sports Day – introduction to various sports such as Baseball, Soccer, Rugby, Football
- Babysitting Course
- Community BBQ – which will also include a Bike Safety Presentation
If you would like to donate some gift in kind items such as:
- Snack items
- Books for all reading levels
- Bike Helmets
Contact Donna @ email@example.com or 306-529-8656 (text) to arrange pick up or drop off.
Cash donations can be made through our Canada Helps profile.
All donations made during the month of June will receive one entry for every $1 donated for the Great Canadian Challenge run by Canada Helps.
Click on the button below to make your donation. Together we are building our next generation of leaders, one child at a time.